BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, January 11, 2016

David Bowie, I Made You Laugh Once! An ode.

David Bowie was not my idol.  He was not preppy, nor French.  But he was an incredible musician and an inspiring performance artist, and his impact on one of my favorite music decades, the 80's, is worth a tribute by me (not to take away from the other decades).  


ziggy
enhanced-buzz-david-bowie-cat-80s-look
 
Besides his immeasurable talent, he was a supercool, private guy.


News of his death was a total surprise to me, and, from what I have read from reactions on social media, it was to everyone else as well.

Roughly 7 or 8 years ago, my sister Aliza and I had an encounter with a very shy and unassuming Bowie many years ago at the Hampton Chutney Company in Soho.  We had just ordered dosas (my first time!).  Around the time that we were getting our order, David Bowie strolled in for some takeaway (we did not realize this when he came in- he was actually not super tall and didn't stand out in the slightest).  He stood against the wall quietly waiting for his food...and observing his surroundings, apparently.


Upon seeing the size of the dosa, I must have uttered a few expletives and some other funny remarks- because HE LAUGHED!  He laughed at OUR banter.  We both turned around and turned quickly back around after making eye contact.  HOLY SHIT was that- DAVID BOWIE- really? 
 
This happened before I think I even had an Iphone, so there wasn't a thought of a selfie.  He clearly wanted to be inconspicuous, and although it would've been beyond amazing to get a photo with him, we didn't dare ask.
When he left, we heard the employees say, "Was that David Bowie?" "Yeah, it was."


But, seriously, how happy are we that THIS happened right before Bing Crosby died in 1977?  Chills.
This morning, my boyfriend and I sang China Girl.  I looked for a clip from "The Wedding Singer" to post, but no luck.


I will always think of you when eat a dosa, David Bowie.


Live in peace, evermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment